When I decided to follow a vegan lifestyle 13 years ago I was teased for being a tree-hugging granola lover. Back in those days I had never hugged a tree and granola was not even on the radar. These days I hug lots of trees – I highly recommend it. In fact once when trying to really get grounded I made a point of hugging 50 trees when out on a hike. That was awesome!
As far as granola goes I love the stuff but I don’t love the amount of sugar and oil used in a lot of the granola available commercially. I created a recipe I call Gorgeous Granola because not only does it use less oil and sweetener, it includes a whole lot of the goodies like chia and hemp and millet that keep us feeling full, energized and healthy. There is nothing quite as good as a bowl of homemade granola – especially when it’s still warm from the oven.
2 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats (*see note to make granola gluten-free)
1/2 Cup dry millet
3/4 Cup Hemp Hearts (Hemp Seeds)
1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
1/4 Cup Chopped Nuts (Pecans, Walnuts or Almonds)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries (add after baking)
*If you would like to make gluten-free granola choose oats that say gluten-free. Oats do not contain gluten, however they often get contaminated by wheat when processed.
How to make Gorgeous Granola:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: In a large bowl add the oats, millet, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, shreeded coconut, nuts, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix well. Then drizzle with maple syrup and melted coconut oil and toss until well coated.
Step 3: Spoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread the granola out so there is one even layer. Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from the oven and add stir in the cranberries gently, then allow the granola to cool on the baking sheet.
Step5: When cool transfer to an air tight jar (and find a friend to guard that jar).
- 2½ Cups Rolled Oats (*see note to make granola gluten-free)
- ½ Cup dry millet
- ¾ Cup Hemp Hearts (Hemp Seeds)
- ½ Cup Sunflower Seeds
- ¼ Cup Chia Seeds
- ½ Cup Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- ¼ Cup Chopped Nuts (Pecans, Walnuts or Almonds)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- ½ Cup Dried Cranberries (add after baking)
- Step 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2. In a large bowl add the oats, millet, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, coconut, nuts, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Step 3. Drizzle with maple syrup and melted coconut oil and toss until well coated.
- Step 4. Spoon onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out so there is one even layer. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Step 5. Remove from oven and add stir in cranberries gently. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
- Step 6. When cool transfer to air tight jar.